As audiences spend more time watching content on streaming devices, more opportunities emerge for content providers wishing to monetize their content. Providers can increase their earning power on the Roku platform by partnering with developers that can leverage the powerful Roku Advertising Framework (RAF).
Boost ad revenues with powerful RAF tools
The Roku Ad Framework (RAF) offers a superior ad experience for viewers, advertisers and content providers alike. The RAF easily integrates video ads within the backend of Roku channels, offering a seamless experience so that content providers can focus their efforts on offering the most engaging content for their new Roku audience.
While content providers concentrate on developing immersive content for their viewers, it’s important that they partner with an experienced app development partner that understands the inner workings of RAF, and can leverage its most crucial tools in order to maximize profits and provide additional value to advertisers. The right development partner will seamlessly integrate RAF, and leverage its most relevant features to drive the channel’s bottom line.
RAF: A win for everyone
RAF is built to deliver the greatest value to both advertisers and content providers, while still providing an immersive viewing experience to Roku users. Here’s how RAF benefits all parties involved:
- Content Providers: RAF provides advanced functionality, including interactive ad units. Roku is also the first connected TV platform that supports Nielsen Digital Ad Ratings (DAR), to increase the value of ad inventory.
- Advertisers: RAF offers advanced targeting capabilities, and provides insightful measurement of campaign performance.
- Viewers: RAF offers Roku viewers a consistent ad-serving format that is designed to drive engagement, without compromising the viewing experience.
Key features offered by RAF
- Supports a range of preferred ad servers, including FreeWheel and DFP
- Provides native support of Roku’s targeting and frequency capping software
- Integrates Nielsen’s DAR product directly into the channel
- Offers interactive ad units, using components from Innovoid and Brightline
- Renders all ads in a consistent manner
- Eliminates the need to integrate multiple SDKs by automatically pushing key vendors to Roku partner channels
A developer’s quick-and-easy RAF guide
Roku provides detailed, step-by-step instructions for integrating RAF, so developers can easily integrate the product into the Roku channels they build. The following guide offers the basic steps a developer must take to leverage RAF for monetizing audiences:
- Add the Roku Ad Framework as a required library within your Roku channel by adding this line:
- Then, reference the RAF library within your channel by adding this line to the top of your main.brs file:
- Construct an instance of the RAF object where it can be referenced by the main video event loop:
Now, you have some decisions to make. You need to decide between Client-Side Ad Insertion (CSAI) and Server-Side Ad Insertion (SSAI), as the process is different for each approach.
CSAI gives you control over the ad scheduling and rendering. With SSAI, the responsibility for ad rendering lies elsewhere, plugging into a pre-defined ad configuration for ad tracking with little custom functionality needed.
Have you made your choice? Good.
- This step is optional, but adds value for your advertisers: Enable Nielsen DAR with the following four lines:
- If you’ve chosen the CSAI Approach, set up the ad url to pull VAST (for example) config remotely (eg. myAdUrl).
Check for the ads object in the video event loop. If it isn’t invalid, close the current playback loop and spin up the RAF ad renderer:
- If you selected the SSAI approach, set up internal logic for ad tracking, by giving your ad pod configuration to the the stitchedAdsInit function
In the video event loop, handle ad events in parallel with video events.
The Roku Ad Framework is a crucial tool for any content provider looking to expand to Roku: it allows providers to easily monetize audiences and gives advertisers the in-depth analytics and reporting they value most. The right development team can use true native code to ensure RAF is properly integrated within Roku channels, while leveraging its most powerful tools and resources to improve the ad experience for viewers and drive profits on the platform.
To find out how to build natively for immersive ROKU video experience, read our white paper here.