About The Position
The multi-screen streaming video and the interactive TV space is growing rapidly. Accedo delivers rich media apps on multiple platforms ranging from Smart TVs, gaming consoles and media devices to smart phones and tablets.
At Accedo, you will be part of a diverse and multi-disciplined development team, gaining exposure to cutting-edge technologies. This means working with some of the largest global media brands in the industry, e.g. Netflix, Spotify, BBC, HBO and Deutsche Telekom, just to name a few. Working in a highly collaborative and international environment, you will help transform requirements and designs into high performing feature rich applications on a wide variety of web based platforms and devices.
Who are we?
We are Accedo and have more than ten years of experience helping hundreds of TV platform operators, broadcasters, media companies, and consumer electronics manufacturers across the globe to design, deliver and manage the next generation video user experience across a vast range of connected devices.
Accedo offers a truly global working environment, with offices all over the world, including Stockholm, London, New York, Silicon Valley, Sydney, and Hong Kong, amongst others.
At the end of the day, our employees are what make us who we are, which means we work hard to create a good working environment with plenty of opportunities to grow and develop within Accedo, wherever they want to be in the world. We are on a journey, and are always open to ideas and individuals that want to contribute to making that journey a success.
Accedo is looking for an Engineering Manager to join its growing Professional Services team in Toronto. At Accedo you will be part of a diverse and multi-disciplined development team, gaining exposure to cutting edge technologies and the opportunity to work with some of the largest global media brands in the industry. Working in a highly collaborative environment, you will help transform requirements and designs into high performing feature rich applications on a wide variety of web based platforms and devices.
Objective of role
The role of Engineering Manager is focused on driving customer solutions and delivering technical excellence through close engagement with customers, cross-functional teams within Accedo and OEM partnerships. As a senior technical authority, you will be responsible for contributing to projects at a senior level. You will also be responsible for leading a cross-functional iEngineering team and collaborating closely with the Engineering management team to define and shape our engineering strategy and best practices across the business. Your extraordinary technology skills will help you guide your team through complex and ambiguous environments towards simple and elegant implementations.
You have experience supporting a team of Engineers, are able to recruit new talent and support the growth of your team through active mentorship and coaching. You have a growth mindset and believe that investing in people will lead to high performance and a culture that fosters a successful business. Your technical experience with mobile and web technologies, along with a strong focus on customer success, allows you to lead by example. Strong communication and interpersonal skills allow you to effectively influence across an organization. In all areas you're able to anticipate and plan for the future.
- Lead strategic initiatives to promote and maintain focus on high quality delivery and growth of the team.
- Direct management of a cross functional Engineering team (6-10 Engineers); providing technical leadership and direction, professional development, guidance and mentorship
- Guiding and developing your team using performance management through effective coaching, feedback, recognition, skill assessment, training and bi-annual performance reviews
- Develop and maintain favourable relationships with customers to offer increased value and mutual benefits. Act as primary Engineering point of contact for customers for all discussions, meetings, concerns, or escalations related to the project delivery.
- Senior technical authority on projects; validate architecture and technical solutions through direct customer/supplier engagement, perform code reviews and mentor development team
- Solve complex issues through deductive reasoning and resourcefulness
- Supporting regional sales opportunities, participating in customer/supplier workshops, providing solution design insights, technical risk/dependency management, estimations, etc.
- Anticipate and prepare for the future - technology, people, culture and process
- 10+ years of experience as a Software Engineer with a high level of proficiency in one or more of the following areas:
- Mobile (Swift, Kotlin)
- Front-end web development (React, Redux, Hooks)
- Back-end development (AWS, Lambda, nodeJS, GO, ExpressJS)
- 3+ years of experience leading people management processes including: performance reviews, mentoring sessions, active coaching, and career development plans
- Recognized leadership skills - approachable, passionate, influential, excellent communicator, composed
- Understanding of global content delivery networks, cloud service providers, video encoding pipelines, DRM technologies, ad-integration, analytics solutions, payment gateways, etc.
- Practical experience working in Agile environments with continuous integration and test-driven development approaches
- Strong quality focus from a UI, functional and performance perspective with experience building scalable solutions
- Strong communication skills with both technical and non-technical individuals; the ability to listen, articulate ideas and advocate best practice solutions in both one-on-one and group settings, in both verbal and written form
- High level of EQ
- Exemplary facilitation skills, with the ability to lead customer/partner meetings and workshops at an international level
- Highly self-motivated and customer-focused
- A love of learning, a constant drive for self-improvement and a desire to help everyone be better
- Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related discipline