Software Engineer - Android
About The Position
Accedo - Transforming the Video Experience
Accedo develops applications and solutions for the Television, Broadcast and Streaming industry, providing a range of engineering challenges for our Development Teams. We offer a portfolio of experience-centric video solutions that enable our customers to monetise video and transform video services to meet rapidly changing consumer expectations and to compete better. Accedo customers include over 350 of the world’s leading video service providers, such as Sky TV NZ, Vodafone NZ, Spark, TVNZ, Fox, HBO, NBC Universal, StarHub, among many others.
What we are looking for
Accedo is looking for talented Software Engineer - Android to join its growing Professional Services team in Auckland. At Accedo, you will be part of a diverse and multi-disciplined development team, gaining exposure to cutting edge technologies and the opportunity to work with some of the largest global media brands in the industry. Working in a highly collaborative environment, you will help transform requirements and designs into high performing feature-rich applications on a wide variety of platforms and devices.
Objective of role: Primarily software development of Android and other front end devices applications. You will work on applications for world famous brands from idea stage through to market launch. Your role can also include customer discussions, requirements analysis and testing support. The role can involve a close relationship with Accedo’s overseas offices.
- Do you get excited when you can refactor your code from O(n^2) efficiency to O(log n)?
- Do you keep on top of all things Google and enjoy reading blogs and articles regarding the world of Android development?
- Are you passionate about Agile development process and improving the efficiency of the software development process?
- Are you passionate about providing accurate estimates and delivering successful results at the end of each development cycle?
- If so, then this is the team you want to join. We care about software craftsmanship, constantly improving our work and ourselves while having fun doing it!
Skills and Experience
- Strong Kotlin and/or Java development experience with an impressive Android project (or several!) in the app store
- Good understanding of development methodologies, testing practices, and tools and knowing when to apply each method to achieve the desired outcomes
- Strong experience and knowledge of Design and Architectural patterns and knows when to apply them
- A solid understanding of mobile application design as well as Java frameworks and development
- Ability to adapt capabilities to cross-platform technologies such as iOS/TVOS
- Strong communication skills and knows when to ask for help and bounce ideas and solutions off peers
Only those candidates who are a New Zealand / Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or have a working visa for New Zealand, valid for at least the next 2 years, will be considered for this role. Accedo will not offer any VISA support / Sponsorship for this role.
- Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, IT or equivalent app development work experience
- Professional experience developing native Android applications
- Extensive hands-on development experience using Kotlin, Java is a plus
- Extensive experience with Android SDK, Android Studio and modern Developer Tools
- Experience with AndroidTV, FireTV, Chromecast, VR/AR is definitely a plus
- Ability to develop against a variety of web architectures and services (HTTP, JSON, REST, etc.)
- Experience in technologies such as GraphQL is beneficial
- Good understanding of mobile device variants, capabilities and constraints
- Experience in other tech stacks is also beneficial (React Native, HTML/JS, Obj-C/Swift, etc.)
- Exposure to Agile, Continuous Integration/Distribution, Test Driven Development
- Must have excellent problem solving skills and love technical challenges
- Experience in video and media based development projects (video players, DRM, OVPs, Advertising, Analytics) is beneficial
- Experience integrating open source or 3rd party API’s and libraries highly desirable
- Good command of English